laughatme-laurel

Monday, June 23, 2008

Just another reason...

...why we love the Dad-n so much! Bryce will usually take a day or two of the week and whip up a tasty meal for us. Today's meal was worth a post (this one is for you laina).

We're not big on burgers around here, so Bryce bought some burger sized Portabella mushroom tops and fried them up. He added cheese, and bacon on the side. Very tasty! Better than a burger any day honestly, and I'm generally not a huge mushroom fan (even eating this I couldn't really look too closely at it...looks like squid or something!).

Bryce also whipped up his summer time specialty - Pasta Salad. Bryce makes one of the few pasta salads that I actually like. It's a very lite, simple salad - not doused with dressings etc. Vine ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, cucumber, garlic, whole milk mozzarella (fresh is best...hard to get that in Texas!), freshly grated parmesan, olive oil, salt, and a good al dente pasta. Yummers.

6 comments:

april said...

i love portabello mushrooms and that looks pretty yummy to me. (never thought of mushrooms being like squid which i agree, is gross). both meals look delish and how fun that your hubby treats you to a meal every week. i should make mine do that. he cooked more when we were first married, but that stopped when i stayed home with the kiddos.

p.s. my four year old was explaining to us that she wanted to make s'mores, but didn't know all the correct words. she kept referring to the burnt marshmellows as fire mushrooms. so next time just think mushroom equals marshmellow.

Shaka said...

looks yummy but you know me, love a good burger-not any burger but with the right beef and then there is nothing better!!!

i do love mushrooms though!

funny i was going to post about troys yummy grilled salmon on sunday but i didn't get a picture so i let it go!

i love summer eating!

Traci said...

I love portabella mushrooms!! Panera Bread ahs a portabella mushroom panini that is so yummy, if you have those out where you are!!!
I should try making these burgers at home too! The salad yummy too. Does your son eat the salad? I don't make pasta salads much cause I think it would be just my hubby and I eating it and wouldn't want to waste it, so they only get made for parties.

laina kay said...

Oh, not fair... husbands who cook things other than spaghetti or mac-n-cheese!

I'm drooling, portabellos,bacon and cheese! Yummmmmm!

Did you really say that you can't get fresh mozzarella in Texas? Wha? Huh? That can't be true. You must search harder...

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

April - Mushrooms as marshmallows...I'll see if that works for me next time!

Shaka - summer eating is great, isn't it!

Traci - fortunately we do live in a more populated area of Texas...I don't know how I'd deal with life otherwise! So, I'll recommend the Panera panini to Bryce next time :)
As for the pasta salad, you know toddlers...sometimes he eats it...sometimes he doesn't

Laina - we've googled it...and yes we could get the motz...if we drove to Dallas! Bummer, huh. People just eat sooo differently out here..."MEAT anyone!"

laina kay said...

Bogus on the motz... The Husband says "Whhaaaaattt?" We don't believe you! It's Texas, not another planet, eh!! :)

Yet another reason to return to the East Coast, besides missing your favorite sister!