laughatme-laurel

Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's not a Mullet




Check out the new do. For almost 10 years now I've been "all talk" and no "sit down, let me get my scissors." I think I've been complaining about my hair...ever since I've had hair! In my younger years I had "gorgeous wavy curls" which grew out into long straight stringy locks to about my butt, which eventually got up to around shoulder length, and stayed there...for too long. The thing is, I'm not a "girly" girl. I don't enjoy painting my toenails, I'm not into pretty pink bows and I hate, hate, hate styling my hair. So technically I'm the kind of girl who needs a "get up and go" haircut, but my fear of looking like a boy (or worse) always stood in my way. I wondered if I'd be able figure out how to style it once it was cut (I honestly can't work a curling iron), and worried about freakish things like "what if my hair bugs out into crazy curls!" So needless to say, it took a lot of courage to sit down in a hair salon and say the words, "I want a pixie cut."...but as my luck would have it I happened to get the one stylist in the salon (a place carefully selected and recommended by two separate friends) with whom I had a slight language barrier...she was Mexican...I was not. I got a blank stare and a "huh?" response. After recovering from my urge to run screaming through the plate glass window, I did my best to describe what I wanted, only to realize later, as I gave the descriptoin to my friends, that it sure sounded like I wanted a totally rockin' mullet --->


So it turns out the language barrier helped the situation...or possibly this nice stylist couldn't bring herself to admit that she did understand what I was describing - so as to save me from myself! Anyway, I must say I'm pleased with the result. It's very easy to style...almost wash and go...no blow dryer, and no curling brush. It's certainly not as short on top as I really wanted, but this is a big step for me, and this will allow me to work my way up to the actual pixie cut. But I think next time I'll go in with a picture to aid me in my description because, though I love it and all, the whole mullet thing...ain't my thing.

11 comments:

april said...

I LOOOOVVVE IT!!!! wahoo!! you've gotten me so excited to chop my hair (which i've been planning to for two years - but i stupidly first set the goal to donate my hair to charity and after all this time it's still not long enough to donate - one of the reasons that i need to chop it - it's so pathetically thin long). anyhoo, i want a pixie cut too, but i think i'll start with something like you have to ease my way in. you look fantasatic!!

Anonymous said...

The real question is....what does the B-man think?!?

Katie said...

You did it!!! I love it. You're one hot mama! The front view reminds me of a super chic model pose in a catalogue. I'm proud of you. I still don't have the guts.

Candi said...

I like it! I really brings out your eyes and really fits your personality. Not mullet-like at all!

Katidid said...

Hey I like the new do. You look older and more sophisticated in a good way. I commend you on you're bravery; having been in the same situation just three months ago, I know the courage it takes to change the look you've had for more than a few years. Hope the family is well, take care,

Kati (aka: Willy)

Cori White said...

way cute.. i was looking through some pics of bellingham while we were there on missions.. craziness. was it your 31st bday that sent you to the salon? im getting mine cut tomorrow too but not quite so short.. im glad you had the courage.. email or have Kati.. Willy.. add me to her list.. please :) i dont have a good email for her.. i know you are her "firstborn" in the mission and all but im important too right???

Liz said...

Way to be brave. You can totally pull it off, it looks really cute.

Shaka said...

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!laurel! i'm SHOCKED!!!! it looks good but wow! that is brave! i would be terrified!
what is a pixie cut? find a picture of one and post it please!
it does look good though. you look different. good but very different. good for you. i called today to schedule a hair appt. i'm planning on goind short but not that short! i really don't think i would look good at all like that.

Shaka said...

you actually look more girly to me now.

laina kay said...

Wowza! Is that you Laurel? Never thought I'd see the day!

It looks really cute... so different! I've done the short cut before but am afraid of committing to it.

Congrats on this big change. Enjoy!

Shaka said...

hey, i'm still waiting for a picture of a pixie cut! i'm an idiot i know but i'm not up on the names of haircuts and i want to know what you were going for.